Arthur Charles DUNN
Rank: Sergeant
Number: 10103
Unit: 18th Battalion MANCHESTER REGIMENT
Date of Death: 30 July 1916
Age: 23
Cemetery: Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France

Arthur was the only son of Arthur and Henrietta Dunn of 10 Buckingham Road, Heaton Chapel (and previously of 16 School Lane). The 1901 Census shows that he had a sister, may, who was 12 years older than he was. The family originated from the Levenshulme area of Manchester.

Nothing else is known if his life until he joined the army. This was at the beginning of September 1914 when, with the War just a month old, he enlisted into third of the "Pals" battalions of the Manchester Regiment. He was assigned to No. 4 Platoon in "A" Company. The battalion was entirely recruited on the 5th & 7th of September and Arthur's posting to "A" Company indicates he was amongst the first in the queue on the first day. Some details of the men's recruitment and training can be found here.

After training, the Battalion left to go on active service in France on 8 November 1915 and, on 6 January 1916, took over front line trenches for the first time near the village of Vaux, near to the River Somme.

The Battalion was in support of the leading troops on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, on 1 July and Arthur would have been in a major attack for the first time on 9 July.

On 29 July, the Battalion started a three mile march towards its assembly trenches just outside the recently captured Trones Wood, only a few hundred yards from the ground captured at the beginning of the month. The march was undertaken in the greatest discomfort as the men had to wear gas masks as an enemy attack was constantly feared.

At 5am, the next day, the Battalion slowly advanced through the morning mist towards the village of Guillemont. "C" Company, under Captain Blythe's leadership, quickly captured houses on the western edge of the village. By 5.45, the Company had captured about 100 Germans belonging to the 22nd Bavarian Regiment, but, also, had come under heavy machine gun fire from a nearby quarry. There were reports of hand-to-hand fighting with the German garrison. "A" Company now moved up to support their comrades in "C" and joined the fight.

"B" and "D" Companies had also advanced. As they did so, "D" lost its direction and came across thick German barbed wire which held them and made them easy targets for the enemy machine guns. There were very many casualties.

At the same time, the enemy had started to shell the area between Trones Wood and the village. This was preventing reinforcements moving up but, more importantly, meant that the Manchesters could not be resupplied with ammunition.

Casualties continued throughout the morning and, by 2.30pm, the Battalion had, effectively, ceased to exist. Some 450 men had been killed, wounded, taken prisoner or were missing. Arthur was one of 102 who were dead - most had not reached the village and were lying in No Man's Land. Among them were two other local men, James Lunt and Samuel Tunstall. It would be some six weeks before the area was fully secured and the bodies could be recovered and buried. It is no surprise that, by this time, it was not possible to identify many of the men. 

(Original research into the events of 30 July by John Hartley for the Cheadle & Gatley War Memorials website)

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window