Frederick Henry SACKETT
Rank: Private
Number: 1416
Unit: C Company, 14th Battalion ROYAL WARWICKSHIRE REGIMENT
Date of Death: 20 September 1916
Age: 23
Cemetery: Mont Huon Military Cemetery, Le Treport, Pas de Calais, France

Frederick and his younger brother, Richard, died within three days of each other. They also both have their names inscribed incorrectly on the Heaton Moor War Memorial. Their commemoration is on a small addenda panel fixed to the rear of the Memorial which spells the surname as Sacket. All official records, and their commemoration on the main town Memorial at Stockport Art Gallery, has it as Sackett. As will be noted later, when the Memorial was erected, the Sacketts had moved away from the Heaton Moor area and there was probably no-one who could confirm the correct spelling.

The Sackett family do not seem to have stayed for too long in one place. Frederick Sackett and Clarissa Wood married in the Canterbury area in the June quarter of 1889. The following year, their first child, Theodora, was born in nearby Whitstable. Two years later, they must have moved to Herne Bay as Gladys was born there. The mid-1890s found them in St Peters, onn the Isle of Thanet, where Frederick was born in about 1894. The youngest known child, Richard, was born three years later in Ramsgate.

In 1901, when the national census was taken, the family were at 20 Bath Street in Brighton where Frederick was employed as a manager for a provision merchants. The 1914 edition of Kelly's Directory for Cheshire shows, by then, they had moved to the Stockport area and were living at "Glen Garth" 24 Egerton Road, Heaton Chapel.

Frederick died, of wounds he'd received in action, at a military "base" hospital on the Channel coast. It is not known when he was injured and he may have been there for some time. The Battalion had regularly been in action since the middle of July at the Battle of the Somme. Frederick would have received attention from the Battalion's own medical officer just behind the front line before being evacuated to an army field hospital (casualty clearing station) some miles away. His condition would have been stabilised there and any necessary emergency surgery undertaken. He would then have been moved to the coast.

In the early 1920s, when the War Graves Commission collated its casualty information, Frederick Sackett had again moved. Clarissa had died, but he had remarried, to Mary. He was then the landlord of the Black Lion Hotel, Llanfair Talhaiarn, Denbighshire.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window