Gertrude Powicke is believed to be the only woman commemorated on any memorial in the Borough of Stockport. Her name is inscribed on those at Heaton Moor and the town's art gallery.
She was born on 19 December 1887 in the Hatherlow area of Romiley, where her father, Frederick, was the minister of the local Congregational Church. The family home was at the Parsonage.
When the national census was taken in 1901, Gertrude and her older sister, Agnes, were at boarding school in Milton, Kent. At home were her mother, Martha and her other siblings - Frederick (21), William (20), Elizabeth (18) and Nancy (9). Her father appears to have been visiting friends in Bury.
When War was declared in 1914, Gertrude was a member of staff at Manchester High School for Girls. She was keen to join the war effort and trained as a nurse. To help her chances of serving overseas, she also learnt to drive. In 1915 she joined the Friends Emergency and War Victims Relief Committee which had been formed by the Quakers. It undertook medical duties, including founding a maternity hospital at Chalons-sur-Marne. Gertrude worked in France but it is not known where. In July 1918, 20 of the Committee's workers transferred to Poland to assist with a typhoid epidemic. She was nursing in the area of Lemburg when she contracted typhoid herself and died soon after at Warsaw, the day before her 32nd birthday.
Gertrude is buried in Warsaw but her name is inscribed on the family grave at Hatherlow Churchyard.